CS4031 Introduction to Digital Media 2012
The short URL for this page is http://tinyurl.com/IntroDM12
Aims & Objectives
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
- Assess the influence of technology on human cognition and activity.
- Compare and contrast a number of case studies focussed on particular technologies and media.
- Critically evaluate the relationship between technology and human development.
- Understand and critically assess the quality and reliability of various types of digital media resources.
- Search for information on specific topics, integrate information and context and produce digital content using various media and correct citations.
- Select, research and summarize information on various digital media topics, collaborating with a group of colleagues in producing and publishing content online.
- The influence of technology on cognition and activity;
- An overview of conceptual development of computer media.
- The relationship of Technology to Practice, Form, Content and Remediation.
- Case studies will consider the influences, consequences and interrelationship of media and thought, including examples from the world of work, education, video games, social media, ubiquitous computing, personal fabrication and so forth.
Lecturer & TA
Lecturer - Dr.Gabriela Avram
- gabriela.avram at ul.ie
- LinkedIn: http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gabrielaavram
TA - Alan Ryan
- 10002094 at studentmail.ul.ie
- LinkedIn: http://ie.linkedin.com/in/alantryan
- Paul, A. Mayer, Computer Media and Communication, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999.
- Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, Routledge, 1964.
- Walter, J Ong, Orality and Literacy: Technologizing the Word, Routledge, 1999.
- H. Rheingold. Tools for Thought. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2000.
- Michael Rush, New Media in Art, Thames and Hudson world of art, 2005.
- Johnny Ryan, A history of the Internet and the digital future
- Paul A.Mayer -Introduction. From Logic Machines to the Dynabook: An Overview of the Conceptual Development of Computer Media , in Computer Media and Communication, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999, pp. 3-22
- As We May Think - Vannevar Bush, pp.23-36 (available online here)
- Doug Engelbart, Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework, pp. also available online here
- Alan Kay, Adele Goldberg - Personal Dynamic Media online here
- Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Message
- Usability 101: Introduction to Usability- Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, August 25, 2003
- Clay Shirky - Social Software and the Politics of Groups
- Christopher Allen - Tracing the Evolution of Social Software
- "Constructing Text:Wiki as a Toolkit for (Collaborative?) Learning" by Forte, A.and Bruckman, A.
- Persuasive Technologies by B.J.Fogg, Communications of the ACM, 199, 42/5
- 10.09.2012 - IxDM Introduction
- 13.09.2012 - Brief Introduction to Social Media and portfolios
- 17.09.2012 - An Overview of the Conceptual Development of Computer Media
- 20.09.2012 - "As We May Think"- Vannevar Bush's visionary article
- 24.09.2012 - Doug Engelbart and Augmenting Human Intellect
- 27.09.2012 - Location-based services
- 1.10.2012 - Tweasure Hunt
- 4.10.2012 - Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Message
- 8.10.2012 - Assignments 2 and 3 explained
- 11.10.2012 - Personal Computing - from Vision to Reality
- 15.10.2012 - Human Computer Interaction + Tweasure Hunt 2 (2pm)
- 18.10.2012 - Inventors
- 22.10.2012 - Human Computer Interaction continued
- 25.10.2012 - Intellectual Property Rights
- 29.10.2012 - Bank Holiday - no lecture!
- 1.11.2012 - Ubiquitous computing/Ambient intelligence-
- 5.11.2012- Social Media
- 8.11.2012 - Social Media p II
- 12.11.2012 - Social Media Implications
- 15.11.2012- Learning in the digital era
- 19 11 2012 - The DYI culture; Hackerspaces, Makerspaces, FabLabs and Personal Fabrication
- 22 11 2012 - Inside the Enterprise
- 26 11 2012 - Revision
- 29 11.2012 - Revison 2
Venue & timetable
- Monday - 13-14, S206
- Thursday - 13-14, S206
- 3 Assignments:
- UL Tweasure Hunt (a treasure hunt based on Twitter) - group assignment - 10%
- Limerick City people and places - blog post on your own blog - 15% ; the list of topics is being updated here: Blog post on a place in Limerick
- Wiki-style article for the Digital Media Terms Glossary - Group assignment CS4031- 25%
- Exam - in December 2012 - 50%
#ixdm12 on Twitter
- a Twitter hashtag for communicating within our group
- you will have to get your own account on http://twitter.com
Places to go, things to see
- Check the Events listing on the UL website: http://www.ul.ie/
- on the Limerick.ie website: http://www.limerick.ie/living
- 15 Sept 2012- Elemental Limerick Arts and Culture Festival is the brainchild of an enthusiastic team of individuals involved in the arts, who want to bring accessible arts and culture to the people of Limerick.
- 28-30 Sept Limerick Jazz Festival
Limerick OpenSource Meetup
IxDa Limerick Meetup
- website: http://milklabs.ie
- You can join the mailing list to find out what's going on.
- We're also on Facebook
Wednesday Afternoon Talks series
- Interaction Design Talks 2-4pm