CS4031 Introduction to Digital Media 2010
The short URL for this page is http://bit.ly/d2G4lS
Aims & Objectives
On successful completion of this module students will:
- Have considered the influence of technology on human cognition and activity.
- Considered a number of case studies focussed on particular technologies and media.
- The influence of technology on cognition and activity.
- The relationship of Technology to Practice, Form, Content and Remediation.
- Case studies will consider the influences, consequences and interrelationship of media and thought, including:
- The written word, printing press, computer & digitisation, World Wide Web.
- Music instrument form, mnemonics, notation, recording, digitisation.
- The reproduced image, printing press, camera, film, television, digitisation.
- Narrative - orality, ritual & theatre/opera, illusion, interactive systems, sensors, virtual spaces, remediation
Lecturer & TA
Lecturer - Dr.Gabriela Avram
TA - Nora O'Murchu
- Paul, A. Mayer, Computer Media and Communication, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999.
- Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, Routledge, 1964.
- Walter, J Ong, Orality and Literacy: Technologizing the Word, Routledge, 1999.
- H. Rheingold. Tools for Thought. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2000.
- Michael Rush, New Media in Art, Thames and Hudson world of art, 2005.
- Paul A.Mayer -Introduction. From Logic Machines to the Dynabook: An Overview of the Conceptual Development of Computer Media , in Computer Media and Communication, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999, pp. 3-22
- As We May Think - Vannevar Bush, pp.23-36 (available online here)
- Doug Engelbart, Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework, pp. also available online here
- Alan Kay, Adele Goldberg - Personal Dynamic Media online here
- Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Message
- Usability 101: Introduction to Usability- Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, August 25, 2003
- Clay Shirky - Social Software and the Politics of Groups
- Christopher Allen - Tracing the Evolution of Social Software
- "Constructing Text:Wiki as a Toolkit for (Collaborative?) Learning" by Forte, A.and Bruckman, A.
- Persuasive Technologies by B.J.Fogg, Communications of the ACM, 199, 42/5
- 6.09.2010 - IxDM Introduction
- 8.09.2010 - Brief introduction to Social Media
- 13.09.2010 - An Overview of the Conceptual Development of Computer Media
- 15.09.2010 - continuation
- 20.09.2010 - guest speakers: Paul Woodrow and Alan Dunning,University of Calgary
- 22.09.2010 - "As We May Think"- Vannevar Bush's visionary article
- 27.09.2010- Doug Engelbart and Augmenting Human Intellect
- 29.09.2010 - Video games - an interactive medium- invited talk by Dr. Anders Sigfridsson
- 4.10.2010 - Hypertext ; Personal Computing - from Vision to Reality
- 6.10.2010 - Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Message
- 11.10.2010 - Human Computer Interaction p1
- 13.10.2010 - Open Days - lecture cancelled
- 18.10.2010 - Human Computer Interaction p2, Assignments 2 & 3
- 20.10.2010 - Social Software - introduction
- 25.10.2010 - Bank Holiday
- 27.10.2010 - Intellectual Property Rights
- 1.11.2010 - Social Software part2
- 3.11.2010 - Social Software part3
- 8.11.2010 - Ubiquitous computing/Ambient intelligence
- 10.11.2010 - Learning in the digital era
- 15.11.2010 - Learning in the digital era - Open Space
- 17.11.2010 - Shared Workspaces & Enterprise 2.0;
- 22.11.2010 - FabLabs and Personal Fabrication
- 24.11.2010 - Revision
Venue & timetable
- Mon - 11-12, CSG001
- Wed - 11-12, FG042
- CS4031 Assessment- the 3 assignments
#ixdm10 on Twitter
- a Twitter hashtag for communicating within our group
- you can get your own account on http://twitter.com, or just listen here
Places to go, things to see
tweak - September 2010
- an interactive art and live electronic music festival taking place in Limerick City
More information at http://tweak.ie
- Wednesday, 22 September 2010, 9pm Tweak Live; Tweak Live presents an evening of live electronic performance featuring
- Duck Richbags
Daghdha St. John's square // €10/€5(students)
- Thursday, 23 September 2010, Daghda, St. John's square , 9pm Soundings; Soundings is a performance series based in Limerick, Ireland that is designed to open the senses to new forms of music, sound art, and media interaction
This year Soundings presents Rick Snow and guests to perform at the intimate Daghdha space.
- Friday, 24 September 2010, All Out Design, Sarsfield St., Connected Limerick workshop, organised by the IxDA Limerick chapter
- For more information, see our Facebook page
Limerick OpenSource Meetup
IxDa Limerick Meetup
Wednesday Afternoon Talks series
- Interaction Design Talks 2-4pm