CS4031 Introduction to Digital Media 2009
The short URL for this page is http://short.ie/nd8hiv
Aims & Objectives
On successful completion of this module students will:
- Have considered the influence of technology on human cognition and activity.
- Considered a number of case studies focussed on particular technologies and media.
- The influence of technology on cognition and activity.
- The relationship of Technology to Practice, Form, Content and Remediation.
- Case studies will consider the influences, consequences and interrelationship of media and thought, including:
- The written word, printing press, computer & digitisation, World Wide Web.
- Music instrument form, mnemonics, notation, recording, digitisation.
- The reproduced image, printing press, camera, film, television, digitisation.
- Narrative - orality, ritual & theatre/opera, illusion, interactive systems, sensors, virtual spaces, remediation
- Paul, A. Mayer, Computer Media and Communication, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999.
- Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, Routledge, 1964.
- Walter, J Ong, Orality and Literacy: Technologizing the Word, Routledge, 1999.
- H. Rheingold. Tools for Thought. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2000.
- Michael Rush, New Media in Art, Thames and Hudson world of art, 2005.
- Paul A.Mayer -Introduction. From Logic Machines to the Dynabook: An Overview of the Conceptual Development of Computer Media , in Computer Media and Communication, Oxford Univ. Press, 1999, pp. 3-22
- As We May Think - Vannevar Bush, pp.23-36 (available online here)
- Doug Engelbart, Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework, pp. also available online here
- Alan Kay, Adele Goldberg - Personal Dynamic Media online here
- Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Message
- Usability 101: Introduction to Usability- Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox, August 25, 2003
- Clay Shirky - Social Software and the Politics of Groups
- Christopher Allen - Tracing the Evolution of Social Software
- "Constructing Text:Wiki as a Toolkit for (Collaborative?) Learning" by Forte, A.and Bruckman, A.
- Persuasive Technologies by B.J.Fogg, Communications of the ACM, 199, 42/5
- 7.09.2009 - IxDM Introduction
- 8.09.2009 - no lecture
- 9.09.2009 - Wednesday Afternoon Talk
- 14.09.2009 - no lecture
- 15.09.2009 - no lecture
- 16.09.2009 - Wednesday Afternoon Talk
- 21-22.09.2009 - An Overview of the Conceptual Development of Computer Media
- 28.09.2009 - "As We May Think"- Vannevar Bush's visionary article
- 29.09.2009 - Blogs, RSS feeds, Twitter and the second assignment
- 5.10.2009- Doug Engelbart and Augmenting Human Intellect
- 6.10.2009 Hypertext ; Personal Computing - from Vision to Reality
- 12.10.2009 - Marshall McLuhan - The Medium is the Message
- 13.10.2009 - UL Open Days - No lecture
- 19.10.2009 - Video games - an interactive medium]- invited talk by Anders Sigfridsson
- 20.10.2009 - Digital Art - invited talk by Nora O'Murchu
- 26.10.2009 - October Bank Holiday
- 27.10.2009& 2.11.2009 - Human Computer Interaction
- 28.10.2009 - Wednesday Afternoon Talk - Nicola Quinn
- 3.11.2009 & 9.11.2009 - Social Software
- 10.11.2009 - Learning in the digital era
- 16.11.2009 - Shared Workspaces & Enterprise 2.0;
- 17.11.2009 - Case Study: Twitter
- 18.11.2009 - Wednesday Afternoon Talk - Macdara Butler
- 23.11.2009 - Ubiquitous computing/Ambient intelligence; Intellectual Property Rights
- 24.11.2009 Revision
Venue & timetable
- Mon - 11-12, CSG001
- Tue - 11-12, CSG001
- CS4031 Assessment- the 3 assignments
- Exam - 18 Dec 12:30 EG010
#ixdm09 on Twitter
- a Twitter hashtag for communicating within our group
- you can get your own account on http://twitter.com, or just listen here
Places to go, things to see
DEAF 2009 Dublin Electronic Arts Festival
- details here
- 22-31 October 2009
tweak - 22-27 September 2009
- an interactive art and live electronic music festival taking place in Limerick City
More information at http://tweak.ie
Wednesday Afternoon Talks series
3.00pm, Computer Science Building Auditorium (CSG01)
- Garth Paine- Wednesday September 9th, 2009
- Rob Swire (Pendulum)-Wednesday September 16th, 2009
- Simon Emmerson- Wednesday September 23rd, 2009
- Paul Hegarty, Wednesday September 30th, 2009
'More information on the CCMCM website
- Design Seminar, Wednesday 23rd of September 14:00-16:00
- Venue: S215
- " Learning by toying"; Design & Education at work. - Prof.Sudarshan Khanna
- Prof. Khanna is the ex-principal designer & head of Toy Centre, Chairperson of Education &
Research, Chair for Design & Education Innovations at the National Institute of Design in India
- Interaction Design Talks- Nicola Quinn, Wednesday 28 Oct 2009, 2-4pm
- Venue: CSG001
- more details here
- Soundings -Thursday September 10th, 2009, 8.00pm St Munchins Church, Church St., Limerick.
- Garth Paine (Australia)
- Jaime Oliver (US)
- Guiseppe Torre, Robert Sazdov and Dorota Konczewska
- Soundings - Thursday September 24th, 2009, 8.00pm, St Munchins Church, Church St., Limerick
- Splice Girls (UK)
- La Société des Amis du Crime
- Diana Simpson (UK)
- Manuella Blackburn (UK)
More information on the CCMCM website